Thank you for your interest in the Computer Arts + Design program at Mercy College. Applicants to the program must pass a portfolio review before taking classes in the major. The portfolio must include at least twenty examples of art work and a 1000 word essay.
Your portfolio should show your potential for developing your work in the visual arts. Submit a range of work that highlights both your discipline and creativity. At least ten submitted works should show your ability to draw or paint from direct observation. We want to see that you can render forms accurately and create interesting and unique compositions. In addition to seeing your ability to work from observation we would like to see if you have a design sense. Any digital work you submit should incorporate your design, drawing and/or painting skills. If you have completed work in animation and 3d modeling you can submit that work as well but only submit your best work.
For the essay requirement, submit an essay of roughly 1000 words on one of the following:
- Discuss a local, national or international issue that is of importance to you. How might you address this issue in an activity, work of art, or design?
- Describe an important experience that has influenced and shaped you as a person and as an artist or designer.
All applicants must:
- Submit an application for admission to Mercy College through an Admissions Counselor at any Mercy campus or online. You can arrange an interview with an Admissions Counselor by calling 1 877 MERCY GO.
- Apply directly to the Computer Arts + Design program by submitting a portfolio of work as well as a 1000 word essay. Work will be reviewed by the Portfolio Review Committee. Carefully review the application guidelines before submitting your portfolio and essay.
To submit your portfolio online
- Upload your portfolio and essay at https://dropbox.yousendit.com/Computer-Arts-and-Design-Program. See "required formats for portfolio work" below for file format requirements. You will be contacted after your materials have been received.
To submit your portfolio in person
- Set up an interview with Josh Gaetjen, Program Director, by calling 914 674 3015, or emailing jgaetjen (at) mercy (dot) edu.
- Submit your essay before your appointment via e-mail.
- Bring your portfolio with you. See "required formats for portfolio work" below for file format requirements.
Required formats for Portfolio work:
- Digital, two-dimensional and three-dimensional work: may be submitted in person or uploaded at https://dropbox.yousendit.com/Josh-Gaetjen (zip all files before upload, 2GB limit). Windows or Macintosh formatted, examples should be in JPEG format.
- Videos / Animations: must be in Quicktime format.
- All files must be named and numbered LastnameFirstname01.jpeg, LastnameFirstname02.jpg, LastnameFirstname03.jpg, etc.
- Presentation formats (PowerPoint, Keynote) are not accepted.
- Acceptable essay formats: .doc, .docx, .txt, .rtf, or .pdf.
The deadline for submitting a portfolio and essay for review is four weeks prior to the start of each fall or spring semester.